Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"Sleeping Beauty Vampire Slayer" by Maureen McGowan



SLEEPING BEAUTY VAMPIRE SLAYER BY MAUREEN MCGOWAN

SERIES: Twisted Tales #2

PUBLISHER: Silver Dolphin Books
GENRE: YA Paranormal
SOURCE: Purchased
LINKS: Goodreads | Book Depository

SUMMARY
In this thrilling story full of adventure and romance, Sleeping Beauty is more than just a lonely princess waiting for her prince—she's a brave, tenacious girl who never backs down from a challenge. With vampire-slaying talent that she practices in secret, Sleeping Beauty puts her courage to the test in the dark of night, fighting evil as she searches for a way to break the spell that has cut her off from her family. In a special twist, you will have the opportunity to make key decisions for Sleeping Beauty and decide where she goes next - but no matter the choice, the result is a story unlike any fairy tale you've ever read!

MY REVIEW

When I was a child I remember I used to read some "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, the ones in which you have a few options you can choose from until you arrive to an alternative ending. Why am I telling you this? Because during this novel there are three times where you have to decide which path to take (in total there are eight different routes through the book), but in this case it doesn't matter which one you choose, the ending will always be the same. I don't know about you but I always loved "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and that's why I found this novel so fascinating to read!

I couldn't help myself and since "Sleeping Beauty" is my favourite Disney animation, I imagined everything like a cartoon! The book is written in a style that helps that kind of imagination, but the story and the characters were totally different from what you see on the big screen or what you read before about this tale, and despite the plot that was intriguing, I have to say that I'm disappointed especially about a couple of things... First of all the villain... Nothing compares to Maleficent (for me the best, scariest villain ever!). Then let me say that, animation or not, I've never met a couple of parents so childish!

Anyway, it was a pleasurable, quick reading, I enjoyed it and it was a lovely remind of my childhood with my fave tale and reading style.

RATING: 3/5
back to top