Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Lord of the Vampires" by Gena Showalter



LORD OF THE VAMPIRES BY GENA SHOWALTER

SERIES: Royal House of Shadows #1
PUBLISHER: Mills & Boon
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
SOURCE: Borrowed
LINKS: Goodreads | Book Depository

SUMMARY
Dangerously sexy vampire Nicolai was renowned for his virility, but now fate has turned against The Dark Seducer. Cast out from his home, Nicolai has been doomed to become a sex slave in the magical kingdom of Delfina. Stripped of his memory all that remains of Nicolai's mind is the primal need for freedom, revenge—and the only woman who can help him. The vampire calls to Jane Parker in her dreams, drawing her to his dark sensuality—and towards Delfina. Yet life is anything but a fairytale for humans in the mystical land. And while Jane may be the key to unlocking Nicolai's memory, exploiting her means dooming the only mortal he craves.

MY REVIEW

I'd never read anything by Gena Showalter before but, since I've always heard great things about her titles, I was sure this book would have amazed me. That was a very wrong guess from my part. I shouldn't have had high expectations in the first place, I would have avoided the disappointment...maybe.

At first, I thought it was going to be an exciting read. I was eager to live the pre-announced adventure in a fantasy world with magical creatures and I couldn't wait for the action to kick in but, suddenly, an ongoing back and forth of 'Mine' started... Now, I do love alpha males and, let's be honest, their possessiveness is what captivates us the most, but it kinda lost its power/charm in here. 'Mine' was a word used too easily and it sounded way repetitive, like the dialogues between the couple. For me Nicolai wasn't a hero to fall for and Jane's concerns and her constant mind ramblings were annoying most of the times.

I liked the idea, the plot was there but the development was very disappointing, and sometimes confusing. Nevertheless, even if this book didn't do well for me, I feel like I should not give up on Showalter just yet.

RATING: 2/5
back to top