Friday, October 24, 2014

Life of a Blogger: Origin of Your Name

Life of a Blogger is a weekly feature hosted by Jessi @ Novel Heartbeat.
Every week we talk about a non-bookish topic, so that we get to know each other on a more personal level.

This week's topic: ORIGIN OF YOUR NAME

(Mars et Rhea Silvia by Peter Paul Rubens)

The name Silvia originates from the Latin word Silva (forest, woods) and it means spirit of the forest.

In Roman mythology, Rhea Silvia was the mother of the twins Romulus and Remus, who founded the city of Rome. -> Now, I'm from Rome, can you see how 'imposing' such a name is? ;)

Also, Silvia is a Shakespearean name (fan girl moment). In Two Gentlemen of Verona she was The Duke's daughter, beloved of Valentine.

11 comments:

  1. beautiful thing. My name is Delhia. We don't see the name a lot and when I tried to look for it, it looked like it goes from Delphine and Diane. But well no real story I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, how can we forget that sweet soul of Melanie in Gone with the Wind? ;) Thanks for sharing the origin of your name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I admit I've never heard of Delhia written this way (quite lovely, btw!), but the thing that pops in my mind is that it could be a variation of Delia? It's from Old Greek, it derives from the island of Delos, which the myth tells it's the birthplace of the God Apollo and his twin sister, Artemis.
    That's what I know from my classical studies, hope it helps linking the two names or I'm afraid I have no clue...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love knowing name origins! I had to be sure the names we picked out for our kids were positive. Yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Andrea! :) I love knowing them, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so neat knowing the origin of your name, Silvia. And u love yours. I'm thinking mine is probably pretty straight forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. Cool. I think my name means honey bee from gypsy origin. I think. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love it, yes. I've always felt a connection with it, so my mum definitely rocked it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, your name means 'honey bee' and it's Greek. I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been so long since I've looked my name up, I couldn't remember. lol. :D

    ReplyDelete

back to top