Monday, November 10, 2014

"Breaking Nova" by Jessica Sorensen



BREAKING NOVA BY JESSICA SORENSEN

SERIES: Nova #1
PUBLISHER: Sphere
GENRE: NA Contemporary Romance
SOURCE: Publisher
LINKS: Goodreads | Book Depository

SUMMARY
Nova Reed used to have dreams of becoming a famous drummer, of marrying her true love. But all of that was taken away in an instant. Now she's getting by as best she can, though sometimes that means doing things the old Nova would never do. Things that are slowly eating away at her spirit. Every day blends into the next, until she meets Quinton Carter. Quinton once got a second chance at life, but he doesn't want it. The tattoos on his chest are a constant reminder of what he's done, what he's lost. He's sworn never to allow happiness into his life, but then beautiful, sweet Nova makes him smile. He knows he's too damaged to get close to her, yet she's the only one who can make him feel alive again. Quinton will have to decide: does he deserve to start over? Or should he pay for his past forever?

MY REVIEW

Let me start by telling you that the prologue in this book is really heartbreaking, the prelude of what sounds like a very emotional road both characters involved and the reader are about to take...

Two dramatic events drastically change the lives of Nova and Quinton, now broken, damaged souls who seem way beyond repair. When they find each other, you think things are going to get better, but it may not be all so simple. Guilt is eating Quinton inside and it's literally destroying him; Nova has issues that put her in uncomfortable positions and sometimes dangerous situations. It's inevitable to feel sad for those two and hope for them to find a way to get back on track and start all over. I just wish I could say that, in the end, they left a big impact on me. While I loved the first part of the book, I felt like at some point the writing wasn't progressing anymore and my reading slowed down. That bothered me especially because I couldn't get the desired connection with Nova and/or Quinton, although their tragic experiences left a mark.

If you're up for a different NA read with a depressing theme, this book is calling you. Personally, I'm happy I gave it a go, it was my first Sorensen's book and I'll probably end up trying her other titles as well.

RATING: 3/5
back to top