Friday, June 16, 2017

"Behind the Curtain" by Beth Kery



BEHIND THE CURTAIN BY BETH KERY

SERIES: Stand-alone
PUBLISHER: Headline Eternal
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
SOURCE: Publisher

SUMMARY
When journalist Asher Gaites visits a downtown jazz club in Chicago, he's transfixed by the lyrical voice and sensuous body of a woman who performs behind a thin, shimmering veil... Inexplicably drawn to her, Asher is shocked to recognize the woman who walked away from him nine years ago... The veil gives Moroccan American Laila Barek the anonymity she needs since she cannot reconcile her family's values with her passion for music. But she has never been able to forget the touch, the feel, the taste of Asher. And despite the doubt and fear that wind their way into their lives, they must trust the heat of their desire to burn down the walls the world has placed between them...

MY REVIEW

I only read one book from this author before, but I knew I had to try more of her works, and I was sure this was going to be the perfect title to help with my 'Kery education'. Boy, was I 100% right!

From the moment I read the blurb, I was captivated. Then, when I started reading, I found myself completely absorbed into the story and felt so much for the characters. The real surprise was discovering this book is not just adult, but also partly new adult, and don't you just love that? I surely do! The mystery halo you get from the very first pages makes you beg for a window through the past, and when that window is open, you can't help but being fascinated by what's behind it... Forbidden encounters which aren't just hot and sensual—oh my, Beth Kery deserves a round of applause for the way she has beautifully written Every.Single.Steamy.Scene.—but also touching, mainly because of the huge obstacle to Asher and Laila's relationship: their different culture. It breaks your heart seeing that this still plays a big role in our modern society, but it's sadly true, and it's too bad family values stop someone from reaching happiness and also show the world their real potential.

I loved this book, it was more than I honestly expected. Emotional and strong at the same time, full of hope and dreams everyone has a right to follow and fight for.

RATING: 4.5/5
back to top